This Galaxy Jar takes about 5 minutes for prep time and 10 minutes to create, totaling 15 minutes. We suggest certain materials but also offer substitutes making this an easy DIY project!
The Galaxy Jar can be used as a calming jar to help kiddos calm down and also help with any anxiety they are feeling. Above all, they are beautiful and fun--AND super easy to make!
- Mason jar with lid (if you don’t have this, you could use any clear container with a lid. I would stick with mason jar size or a bit smaller, nothing too large.)
- 25-30 cotton balls. We used the smaller ones, but the larger ones would have worked better.
- Glitter-the silver kind looks best, but any color will do!
- Paint-any kind will do, and if you don’t have paint you can use food coloring!
- Water-temperature doesn’t matter.
- Straw-this can be replaced with anything you can stick in the jar to push the cotton down.
- Fill your jar ⅓ the way with water.
4. Repeat steps 1 and 2, adding more water another ⅓ the way up and adding a different (contrasting) color. We tried to stick with the blues and purples to give it that “galaxy” feel.
5. Repeat step 3 adding more cotton balls to this layer.
3. Take a cotton ball and stretch it out without tearing it apart. You will add this to the water and push down with a straw (or something you can find in the kitchen, like a spoon). Do this until the cotton balls fill the bottom of the jar and absorb the liquid. This takes about 10 cotton balls.